vermicelli Dessert recipe or Semiya Payasam
vermicelli Dessert recipe or Semiya Payasam is a part of most Indian festival recipes. Not just festivals it is included in most celebration meals. It is a traditional Indian sweet dish or dessert. It is easy to make, doesn’t take a long time to cook and it’s very tasty to serve almost in every event.
Semiya, Sevai, vermicelli, Shavige, all refer to the same ingredient. Wheat or rice based vermicelli or thin strands of pasta.
Today we will try this recipe in new way that is with custard powder and Vanilla essence So, let’s see the Ingredients and preparation method
Ingredients for vermicelli Dessert
- Semiya / Sevai / vermicelli – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 litter depending on the consistency you like
- Almonds (optional) – 4-5
- Cashew nuts – 2-3
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 Tsp (4 – 5 cardamoms)
- Ghee – 1 table spoon
- Sugar – 2 to 3 tablespoons, more or less according to taste.
- Custard Powder 2 tablespoon
Preparation of Vermicelli Dessert
- In a deep thick bottomed pan, bring milk to boil. Keep stirring once in a while.
- In a frying pan, add ghee, keep heat medium.
- Reduce flame to low. Add chopped cashew nut pieces. Fry till golden. Remove onto a plate.
- Add broken Sevai/vermicelli to the same ghee and keep stirring and frying till they are lightly golden pink. Take care not to brown or burn. Stirring continuously is important.
- When the Sevai roasting is done, add them to the boiling milk. Continue stirring and do not let the lumps form.
- Sevai will get cooked in 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add sugar. Keep stirring till sugar melts.
- While it is cooking in a bowl take the custard powder and add some milk and make a paste mix it well without forming lumps
- Now add this custard paste and stir it so no lumps are formed. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Now turn off the Heat and let it cool.
- Finally add the fried cashew nut pieces, cardamom powder. Mix well. As the kheer cools, it thickens.
- You may serve this Semiya kheer hot, warm, at room temperature or chilled. It is your choice.
- You may serve this as a sweet dish accompanying a festive meal or a party dish.
- Serve it as a dessert or a snack. I really like having it always.
- While serving you can add whipped cream if you want.
- The vermicelli kheer cooked in milk and made using full cream milk is creamier and richer in taste.
- Almonds and unsalted pistachios etc can be added along with cashew nuts. Adding more dry fruits makes the kheer richer in taste and thick.
- You may grind some cashews and almonds to powder or paste and add to the kheer in the final stage.
- You may increase or reduce the amount of milk according to the consistency you want. Remember, the kheer thickens as it cools. You may add some milk to it at the time of serving if it has become too thick.
- While roasting vermicelli, I prefer to roast it light brown. If you wish you may roast less and keep it white or roast more till you get the darker brown. That is a personal choice.
- Make sure you stir vermicelli continuously and evenly. Do not let it burn. Do not do anything else while roasting Sevai.
So, friends try this delicious dessert vermicelli and let me know your feedback, comments, and suggestions in the comments section or you can write me directly by email.
Eat Healthy Be Happy…