Delicious Vegetable Biryani Or Veg Biryani
The vegetable biryani is very colorful by adding a variety of colorful vegetable like the carrot, beans, potatoes, and peas which give a great look for the biryani. Along with these the addition of saffron still enhances the flavors and gives a wonderful color and striking appearance to the exotic dish.
Whether veg or non-veg, a biryani is first and foremost a rice dish that stands or falls on the fluffiness of its rice: every grain should be separate and perfectly cooked. Shabnam Minwalla recommends a simple quality control procedure: “When you’re confronted with a plateful of biryani, toss some on the floor and examine the grains. If even two grains stick together, your biryani has failed the test.”
Biryani, the thought of the name itself tingle the taste buds for its rich, flavorful, exotic, aromatic and traditional style of preparation. Vegetable biryani is one of the most luscious and tasty dishes that if once eaten would crave for more. This dish is an all-time favorite and always a dish which tastes great but at the same time, great care is taken while cooking the rice and vegetables.
Ingredients for Veg Biryani
- ghee (clarified butter), or olive oil- 2 tablespoons
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- cumin seed 1/2 teaspoon
- Cardamom 1
- Bay Leafs
- Piece cinnamon stick 1 (1 inch)
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- 1 tomato, diced
- Peas 1/2 cup
- Diced carrot 1/2 cup
- Diced potato 1/2 cup
- Cashews 10 0r 12
- Salt 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Red chili Powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Black pepper 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala 1/2 teaspoon
- Biriyani Masala 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Water 4 cups
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- Cilantro 1/2 cup
Preparation Of Veg Biryani
- Heat the oil or ghee in a Pan and add the cumin seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, and bay leaf and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and cook till it softens, also ginger, garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Also add the mixed vegetables, Cashews and cook for 2 minutes, also add Red Chili Powder, Black pepper, Garam masala and cook for another 2 minutes
- Now add biryani masala, rice, and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Pour in 4 cups water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, stir in basmati rice, reduce heat to medium, recover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until the rice has softened, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Once the rice is grains are cooked, fluff and let the rice stand for 5 min
- Finally, garnish the rice with finely chopped cilantro
- Serve hot with sliced onion and lemon wedges or raita or pickle.
- You can use vegetables of your choice.
- If you want to cook in a pressure cooker add 3.75 cups of water.
- When we are cooking rice always keep in mind to stir it occasionally.
Try Veg Biryani and let me know your valuable comments in comment section.